Product Review: Child Bike Seat

Ever wonder why kids are forced to look at your butt when trying to enjoy a bike ride together? Rather than enjoying the wind in their face they get to enjoy your occasional wind in their face (pee-u).

I have wonderful memories of riding in a child seat on the back of my dad's bike where I suffered semi-regular high kicks to the side of my head if I didn't duck low enough as he swung his 6'2" 225 pound frame over the seat while mounting his 10-speed. (A helmet back then would have actually served dual purposes for me now that I reflect on it.)

I wanted Bubba to have those same memories with me (the bike rides not the head kicks). My main requirement was it had to be a front mount seat versus over the back wheel. I spent the evening hours reading reviews on epinion.com, babycenter.com, and parents.com. I traveled to the local sporting goods stores and specialty bike shops to touch, see, and evaluate any seat that was available to me. I questioned other parent-child riders to give me the opinion of their purchase.

Ultimately I discovered three things. 1) There are a limited selection of front mount seats 2) Front mount seats have a lower weight capacity and 3) They are really expensive.

One night towards the end of my research period I happened upon the ibert, inc. Safe-T-Seat. After reading all the reviews and seeing all the pictures I knew I had found my seat. We've had the seat now for over a year and have been 100% happy with the functionality, comfort, and company. When Bubba and I ride down-town I am constantly asked where I got the seat.One of my favorite things about the seat is that your child is centered perfectly over the bike's center of gravity so starts, stops, and turns are a breeze. I also like that I can squeeze Bubba between my fore arms if I have to stop fast.

Customer service at ibert is also beyond any expectation I could have. When they released a gel pad for the seat they sent it to me for free. Recently the cross-bar latch on the seat broke (I'm still not sure how). I emailed ibert and had a new cross at my front door within the week, no questions asked.

Pros: price, comfort, ease of balance, customer support
Cons: weight limit, child's access to brake and/or gears

Price: $79.99 (at Amazon.com)
Shipping: Free with Super Saver Shipping

You can buy the seat here and here and here (me and Bubba made the ebay listing!)
Click here for benefits of the seat.
Click here for Safety Tips.

Other seats I reviewed: WeeRide Kangaroo and Bike-Tutor.

Me and Bubba out for a ride

P.S We found a matching green Specialized bike helmet at our local bike shop.

3 comments:

Andy said...

you sell a lot of items on ebay eh? are you a reseller for the company?

Kevin Sturm said...

I do sell some stuff on ebay but not this. The seller must have pulled the picture off ibert's website. They asked me to send a picture to them for their photo album.

I thought it was fun that my picture was being listed by someone I don't even know.

Andy said...

oh!!!. I was like, damn, they are ebay masters.