Eyes of a Child

We live in an older neighborhood in Santa Barbara and we love it. But, for whatever reason many of our neighbors don't seem to have a problem with littering. I'm constantly picking up trash around our house, street, and neighborhood.

Just before it got dark yesterday Brody and I went to our neighborhood park about two blocks away. I was so irritated when we got there because there were bottles, cups, and cans around the park. There are 3 trash and recycle cans within 100 feet of the park in every direction. As I was pushing Brody on the swing I picked up some of the trash between pushes. I then had this conversation.

Brody: "What you doin' dada?"
Me: "Pickin' up trash Bubba. It makes me sad when people litter."
Brody: "There's a cup dada! And there! And another one!"
Me: "I know Brody, but some of those cups are covered in gross and I don't have a bag for them."
Brody: "Okay dada"
Brody: "I want to swing faster dada." (which means higher)
Me: "Okay, hold on tight." (Brody is now swinging as high as I dare push him)
Brody: Looking up at the sky as he swings, "Dada it's real beautiful out here!"
Me: "It is?"
Brody: "Yeah! The wind makes my breath feel better. Take a real deep breath, Dada!"

As I took a deep breath I looked up and noticed the pink sunset Brody saw as he swung forward and looked at the sky. I then realized that Brody didn't see the trash on the playground. He saw swings, sand, slides, and things to climb on. He was there with daddy, there was a cool wind on his face from swinging, and the sky was a pretty color. What could be better. My irritation melted away as this 2 year old taught me that you can either see trash or beauty.

It is easy to see trash when that is your focus. Brody taught me that it's easy to see beauty when that is your focus.

Brody's view of the sky.

No comments: