Farts and Frogs

Everybody always has their word for flatulence: pass gas, fart, fluff, toot, break wind, body burp, break a cookie, step on a duck, cut the cheese, the lonely cry of an imprisoned turd. So the challenge is what to call it around your toddler so that when he (or she I suppose) says it around the non-familial type nobody takes major offense. If he says (or does) something the worst you want is surprised and the best reaction is when it's kinda cute. I wonder what the age is when farting in public is no longer cute and becomes rude? Anyone know of a study done on this subject? I'd be interested in the results... For the record, for boys it is always funny...always. And that goes for boys of any age. Farting to boys is funny, period!

Around this house we refer to them as "toots". It seems to be the most harmless and toot is kind of a cute word. It makes you think of the sound a toy train or something. For the record a lot of tooting goes on at our house, mostly to the credit of me and Brody. Now before you get all grossed out or affronted at a affluence flatulence, go read The Gas We Pass. Then read Everybody Poops. When you are completely educated on the subject you can look at it from an objective scientific point of view...like me. Besides if you teach them to just hold it in and be embarrassed by it that leads to all sorts insecurities...I'm sure there are studies.

Sometimes when I'm with Bubba he'll say, "Dada you tooted." A few times I've said, "No, but I think I may have just sat on a frog!" He laughs which makes me laugh and we both think farting is funny...see previous point. Well the other day Bubba and I were playing in his room and he let loose a pretty good growler. Totally straight faced he looks at me and says, "Kevin, I think I have a frog in my butt." Seriously...first name and all! I need to have a video recorder on this kid 24/7 because I know that very soon those tiny communication misses will be gone. 3 is such a wonderful age!

2 comments:

Andy said...

"Kevin" hahah.

Tessa said...

Oh, that kid is funny! We think all toots are funny unless we smell them,then we are completely disgusted!For some reason the McCook's have a stinky gut! I do mean Clay and all of his family! They have a way of clearing out a burning your nose and clearing out a room.